SAGD Project Development Engineer
Reporting to the Manager of Development Engineering, the Project Development Engineer’s main responsibility is to coordinate and support the combined output of technical groups (Reservoir, Geology, Facilities, Drilling, Corporate Planning, Regulatory, etc.) in order to view the SAGD project as a whole for planning and decision making. This individual will be also responsible to prepare detailed schedules and capital profiles, support project development scenario evaluations, and provide support for regulatory applications. This position will be based in Calgary.
1. Maintain an integrated effort by providing coordination and support across all functional project teams:
a. Work with team disciplines (G&G, Reservoir, Drilling, Facilities, Operations, Regulatory and Corporate Planning) to prepare and maintain an integrated reservoir / offsite development plan.
b. Organize and chair a regular meeting with all functional project teams to ensure continued communication of schedule, objectives, tasks and linkages.
c. Provide input and support for regulatory applications.
d. Work with other team disciplines to gather inputs for the project budgeting, planning and economic model.
e. Generate development scenarios and work closely with Corporate Planning to prepare economic evaluations to guide development direction.
2. Prepare and provide a variety of schedules, estimates/budgets and strategic plans to functional teams:
a. Assemble capital and operating cost profiles for medium term or full cycle project economics.
b. Provide input to detailed schedules for tasks that are paced off the reservoir development plan. e.g.: steam distribution and gathering lines, service roads, ROW clearing/prep, power, control modules.
c. Prepare detailed schedules for SAGD, observation well, WSW and WDW drilling and completions, and pad planning efforts.
d. Develop the field surface layout of pads, roads, pipelines to link with sub-surface development plan.
e. Participate in preparation and optimization of development plans and the evaluation of various options (pre-build, long term, short term analyses).
f. Prepare AFEs for projects which are the engineer’s responsibility.
g. Support and maintain an integrated project schedule for the project.
h. Assist with DBM, EDS and Detailed Engineering phases of the project as required.
i. Assist Project Manager, as required, for all Project activities, gaining exposure to all aspects of project development.
j. Hire or participate in the hiring of consultants to provide services for the projects that are the engineer’s responsibility.
k. With other disciplines, maintain involvement in developing the water supply and disposal strategy for the project.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• APEGGA Professional Chemical, Mechanical, or Petroleum Engineer with 8+ years of related experience.
• Previous experience on projects exceeding $50mm.
• Experience with thermal recovery facilities and operations.
• Experience with plant construction, commissioning and start-ups is desired.
• Well developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
• SAGD well layouts and production profiles will be done by reservoir group. Guidance with regard to well installation timing will be done by reservoir but coordinated by the development engineer.
• Long Range Plan and full life cycle economic model will be run by Corporate Planning team with capital inputs compiled by Development Engineering.
• Operation of the SAGD wells will be by the operations group. Reservoir will provide operational guidelines and monthly and weekly objectives. Daily monitoring of the SAGD wells will also be provided by reservoir. The development engineer’s role in this will be to gather feedback from the operations team to apply as “lessons learned” for the subsequent phases or pad addition programs.
• Development engineer’s involvement in the running of the SAGD wells will be minimal, although they may assist with steam scheduling strategies and scheduled shutdown coordination.
• Reservoir group is responsible for preparing the reservoir development plan and supporting the Long Range Plans.
Interested parties should fill out Brion’s job application form. Please attach your resume along with a covering letter (in the same document) highlighting your directly related previous experience and accomplishments.